It is no secret to most that I am an avid animal lover and dogs top the list, with cats making a close second. In May 2009, I got MY first dog. Her name is Trek and she is a black lab/german shepherd mix. She is all black, her coat shines in the sunlight and she weighs a whopping 90 pounds. She is spoiled beyond measure and I love having her around.
The other night when I was reading about shelter dogs, I came across something called Black Dog Syndrome. There is a whole website devoted to the syndrome. Basically it is the concept that black dogs are less likely to be adopted from shelters and that they are euthanized more often than dogs that are not black.
When I read this I was shocked, I think that Trek is the most beautiful dog. She has hazel eyes that are even more beautiful because of her all black coat and when she is clean and brushed her coat shines bright and when she is not clean it helps hide the dirt…
The website Blackpearldogs.com states that there are many reasons why black dogs are chosen less than dogs of a different color, here they are:
1) Harmful Superstitions
2) Negative Labels
4) Just too ordinary
5) Over heat quicker in outdoor sport competitions
And the following are the top 10 reason to adopt a big black dog
10) We cannot clash with your furniture or clothing (and some of you actually worry about that).
9) We cannot clash with any collar you might choose either! Ditto for the bandannas.
8) Ease of vacuuming! You can quickly spot the areas of most urgent need.
7)We hide the dirt well (doesn’t mean we don’t need that bath after a messy play but your guests won’t be able to see it so quickly).
6) We make an excellent “backdrop” for a second lighter colored dog (if you choose to have one).
5) Availability!!! We are available now at every shelter or rescue you can imagine, in every age bracket with no long waiting lists or difficult search.
4) No annoying queries of “exactly what kind of dog is that anyhow?” People are content with “big black dog” and don’t ask anymore questions.
3) EXCELLENT night walk protection. The “bad guy” won’t see us till it’s too late!
2) Status symbol potential. Black pearls are the most costly you know……
1) WE NEED YOU!
So now that you are educated on black dogs. Feel free to adopt one, and take it from me, they are the best.